Recessions come and recessions go, but there is one sector that is almost recession proof –food and drink. Food and drink is a market abounding with opportunities and if, like us, you have the appetite for it, there are no limits to what can be achieved. A market under great pressure, the food and drink sector is driven by the supermarkets and large grocery stores that continue to innovate, improve efficiency, and drive down costs.
Like all business-to-business markets, the sector has a complex value chain with a wide range of diverse companies operating between ‘farm and fork’, so it is vital you work with the right market research company.
Food and beverage industry experience
- We have conducted extensive telephonic interviews and surveys among B2B customers in the Hospitality Industry, including: Private restaurants; Take-Aways (non-franchised); Nightclubs and bars; Boutique hotels, Bed & Breakfast establishments; Butcheries.
- Our partnership with the South African Wine Industry Information and Systems organisation (SAWIS), the leading industry organisation, enhances our Wine Industry knowledge of the latest market and consumer trends.
Case study: Customer Needs & Opportunities in the Catering Industry
- We were approached by a medium-sized catering company based in Johannesburg who were wanting to expand into the ever-growing pool of food service establishments and private restaurants.
- In order to effectively target and communicate with these groups of purchasers they required us to conduct a B2B research study that would help them understand the customer situation, catering equipment needs and opportunities, as well as the purchase decision-making process among the target market groups.
What We Did
- We conducted telephonic surveys among owners and/or managers of food service establishments that had a commercial level kitchen.
- We sourced the relevant databases and interviewed potential customers.
- We conducted a comprehensive competitor analysis through secondary desk research.
We delivered an insightful quantitative report to our Client that helped them to develop a marketing strategy to expand into the new market segment and manufacture and supply products based on customer needs. They have since emerged as key suppliers to the new market sectors and have doubled in size and revenue.